Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Speak Out

Speak Out  

My name is Sara and I want to thank all of you who came out today to support this event to raise funds for Alzheimer’s research.  I am so grateful to those who are here today because it gives me a chance to help get out the word about early detection. 

Alzheimer’s is the disease I have, but it is not who I am. 

Like others who are getting older, I would forget names, places, words, lose keys,or  forget / what I came into / that room to do, or missed a TV show I wanted to see.  We all do it and we all tend to laugh these things off.  I thought, / “this is normal.”  So, I let it go. 

Maybe we begin to notice these things happening more frequently.  We may blow it off.  We may become sad, depressed, mad, angry, /  wonder “why me?”, or yell.  Or maybe we don’t talk about it at all … because it is scary to think about / and even scarier to say out loud / what it is you fear. 

If you or someone you know seems to be displaying symptoms, my message to you today is:  Do not delay!  Talk to your doctor!  I waited too long. 

When I finally went to my doctor, he listened to my worries and fears.  It started a long journey of different types of doctors and lots of medical tests.  Ultimately, I met with a Geriatrics Physician who specializes in Alzheimer’s  Disease.  He was treating my mother and I asked if he would take me on as a patient.  After more examinations, he was able to confirm a diagnosis:  I have a form of Alzheimer’s  Disease. 

Believe it or not / this was good news!  I had five years of wondering what was wrong with me.  It was confirmed:  I am not crazy.  I am not stupid. 
Though there isn’t a cure, the progress of the disease can be slowed downed. 

My doctor is wonderful because he encourages our family members to participate in the discussions with him.  We had an open and honest dialogue:  What can we do now?  What’s the prognosis?  What are the next steps? 

So, my message today is:  Do not wait.  Don’t give up.  If the doctor tells you / or your loved one, “oh, you’re just getting old,” ask him to send you to another doctor for a second opinion.  If not, find another doctor on your own.  You need to be your own health advocate. 

It does take time to get the right diagnosis.  However, when we do, we are freed.  It is a liberating experience to finally know that our suspicions were correct:  There is something wrong, we now know / what it is and we can put some plans in place / while we still have time to do things. 

Now that I know, I am putting my plan in place to visit places and people, and to do things I have wanted to do.  My friends and family will be helping me to execute this plan of action for as long as I can keep going.  Even without them, I know I will never be alone, for I have a loving God on this journey with me. 

So, yes … this diagnosis was a blessing.  Now I know what is wrong with me.  Now we have a plan in place.  I know I am alive and can still do things.  I can quit my “pity party” and live my life, and help others in need.  I thank God for all these blessings. 

So, please remember:  Speak Out. 

If you have questions or start to wonder if your forgetfulness is excessive, speak to your family, your friends, any one.  If you think you might be exhibiting symptoms, speak to your doctor, to caregivers.  Speak to your Higher Power. 

And if you find you do have Alzheimer’s, start sharing your stories with others, and find friends with whom you can share what you are going through … your anger, your frustration, your love. 

Thanks to all of you who are here for the Alzheimer’s “Run for Reagan”.  Your caring can make a difference to someone you know who has been or will be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. 

Thank you and have a Great Run.  

 ( I spoke at Alzheimer’s Run for Reagan for Research, in Saginaw, Mi  SVSU on  4-9-11)  

1 comment:

  1. I too forget a lot of names and my sister has Alzheimer's, Sara. But we were told at the Alzheimer's Unit that the only real way to diagnose Alzheimers was after the patient was dead and they could biopsy the brain.

    ReplyDelete