Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sara's First Alzheimer’s Post on a Blog

    My name is Sara, and my Alzheimer’s diagnosis was a blessing.  Around five years ago, I thought I was forgetting people’s names too often.  I knew I was getting older and that’s part of getting older … it’s just what old people do.  So, I let it go.  I dealt with this for about two years.  

Then I found I was losing words and could not get them back.  I wondered what was going on.  So, in December of 2006,  I went to my doctor to tell him about my fear.  

That started more doctors in my life.  New meds were started.  Some seemed to work,  some didn’t.  Then there were new doctors (psychiatrist, neuropsychologist, clinical and behavioral) and neuropsychological testing (CT, MRI, MRA).  The answer was:  “Dementia!”

Ouch!  OK!  What do I do?  There are so many diseases, I am just one of them.  OK, just ok.  I am not happy but what can I do.  Wait and wait! 

When I was wondering about me, my mom was diagnosed for Alzheimer’s disease.  Her doctor sent mom to a Geriatrician doctor.  He was wonderful because he knew what to do in regards to Alzheimer’s disease, such as the meds she needed, the tests she needed.  Also, he encouraged a family gathering. My sisters, brother and I were able to be with her when the doctor and nurse talked to her and to us.  Questions flew around:  “What we can do for mom?”  “What can we do for us?”  “When does she need to come back?  “What are the next steps?”  It was wonderful.

When Mom was ready to go back to her primary care physician, I asked the nurse if the geriatrician would take me on as a patient, to see if he could help me like he helped mom.  He said yes!  It took one year to get everything done right, having a PET scan as the last test. 

My husband, my mom and my sister were in the room with me that day when the doctor said:  “You have Alzheimer’s disease.”  I took a deep breath.  And I listened.  My family asked questions, and I listened.  I was scared but I did not cry.  It was good news.  I had five years of wondering what was wrong with me.  It was confirmed:  I am not crazy.  I am not stupid.  

So, yes … this diagnosis was a blessing.  Now I know what is wrong with me.  Now we have a plan in place.  I know I am alive and can still do things and go places.  I can quit my “pity party” and live my life, and help others in need.  I thank God for all these blessings.  

1 comment:

  1. It's beautiful sara. with you, how could it be otherwise. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete