Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Dolphin song for Lee

I just finished watching the TV program, “Highway to Heaven.”  The primary characters in this show from the 1980s were God (the “Boss”), Jonathan (an angel) and Mark (the sidekick).  The episode I saw was:  “A Dolphin Song for Lee.” 

Lee is a teenager that has cancer.  She is living on the edge of death and is depressed.  She loves dolphins.  The dolphins are in danger because when fishermen pull up their nets, the dolphins are picked up in the nets, too.  Lee wants to make a difference in our Creation.  She wants to save the dolphins, but she feels she can’t.  Her younger sister tells Lee she can make a difference; that she’s alive and can still follow her dreams.  And, she was right.  Lee did it.  Lee was able to get a bill passed through Congress to protect the dolphins. 

Lee did not do this on her own:  She had her Mom, Dad, Younger Brother/ Sister, and Doctor there for her.  There were friends, neighbors, community members, as well as Jonathan and Mark, supporting her.  Her best supporter was her God.  Lee was not alone.  God was with Lee!
Lee knew she was dying soon, and she asked her family not to grieve.  Lee had gone through denial, depression, and anger, acceptance and now has peace.  She was ready to go home.
I cried on and off through the show.  Sometimes I cried due to sadness, sometimes due to joy.  I could connect with Lee.  She was sick, I am sick.  She had cancer, I have Alzheimer’s Disease.  Different sicknesses but we both are going to die earlier then we planned. 
Both of us have been blessed to have God as our supporter.
Both of us have our family, our friends, our community, our doctors, and our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world supporting us.
Lee reminded me I am alive.  I can make a difference in God’s creation. 
Lee made a difference for her dolphins.  Before she died she even swam with a dolphin.  (Smile)
What will be my dolphin?

No comments:

Post a Comment