Thursday, April 14, 2011

One day at a Time

One Day at a Time

My life has to be focused on one day at a time.   Being a Alzheimer person I need to focus.  I don’t know what will happen today.  Will I be happy, mad, angry?  Will I laugh or cry (good cry or bad cry?)
Will I remember to go to the  Senior Service at 10:00am?  Yes I will today.  They have a group called Dublin Club.  It is focused on helping persons that have Memory Loss.
Any one can have memory loss now and then.  Most of the time, when we are losing a lot of memories we know we need help.  We could loss names, words,  letters etc.  Today, I do remember that I am going to the club.  I need it
The first time I was going to the club, I didn’t what to go.  I was afraid. Did not know anyone there!  Did not think they would understand me! Did not what to be the only Alzheimer person there!.   I knew  though that I needed it.  Just for that day.  I stayed there.  And, it was a blessing to me.  God was with me.
Alzheimer’s Decease (AD) tries to take away our words, letters, names.  Yes, it will some day.  But today, we are still alive and we can talk, we can read, write, know names, know words.  Maybe, sometimes, we need help from our  friends, family members, caregivers help us.  Sometimes, I like then to help and sometimes not.  I do not have much pride any more.  It hurts!  And then, I will remember that I am loved.  And, there are things I can do and not.  Just need to know today what can I do.
I love this Prayer:
God, Grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can.
And, the wisdom to know the different

Today, I am alive. WE are alive today!.   God will lead us and keep our focus of this day.  Not yesterday, not tomorrow!
We have been freed to go where our Higher Power takes us.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are enjoying Dublin Club now Sara. We are very lucky to have you in it, you help others feel welcome as well. I'm sure there are others who feel the same exact way you did when you first started. It wouldn't be the same without you. Please let us know if there is anything you feel we should ever change or add to our discussions.

    See ya Thursday!

    PS. Got your home exercises finished yet?

    Renee

    ReplyDelete