Tuesday, September 20, 2011

MORE THAN A WALK!


It is a gathering of people who care.  They care enough to share their lives, support, and listen to those who need to be heard … those with Alzheimer’s Disease. 

Two weeks ago, I was at the walk in Saginaw, MI, and I heard and saw laughter, joy, happiness, dancing, sharing, tears, helping, and walking.  It was an AMAZING day.  People were there to show many kinds of  support:  Some to remind us that we are still alive, some to help with fundraising, and some to share their stories.   When I arrived at the Saginaw Walk, I saw a lot of people:  Some were volunteer workers setting things up for the walk; some were care givers; some were family and friends; and, yes, even some who have a form of Alzheimer’s Disease.   God Bless You All! 

On Saturday, September 24, 2011, I will be at the Alzheimer’s Walk in Midland, MI.  I will be speaking.   You can speak too.  If you have a form of Alzheimer’s disease and you are alive, God is with you and will walk with you.  Share your stories.   Caregivers:  You can speak for them.   Everyone is a child of God, and if you are afraid to speak He will help you.  I know because God gives me the words that I need to use. 

For those who cannot be at the walk, I would like to share this speech with you.   (And those who will be at the walk, don’t read the speech until you get home.)  :-)

The End of Alzheimer’s Walk   - Speech

My name is Sara.  I want to thank all of you who came out today to support this event to raise funds for Alzheimer’s research, programs and services.  I am so grateful to those who are here today because it gives me a chance to help get out the word about early detection. 

Alzheimer’s is the disease I have, but it is not who I am. 

Like others who are getting older, I would forget names, places, words, lose keys.  We all do it and we all tend to laugh these things off.  I thought, “This is normal.” So, I let it go. 

Maybe we begin to notice these things happening more frequently.  We may blow it off.  We may become sad, depressed, mad, angry, wonder why me?”  Or maybe we don’t talk about it at all … because it is scary to think about what is happening in our bodies and even scarier to say it out loud.  

If you or someone you know seems to be displaying symptoms, do not delay!  Talk to your doctor!  I didn’t, I waited too long. 

When I finally went to my doctor, he listened to my worries and fears.  It started a long journey of different types of doctors and lots of medical tests.  I met with a Geriatric Physician who specializes in Alzheimer’s  Disease.  He was treating my mother and I asked if he would take me on as a patient.  After more examinations, he was able to confirm a diagnosis:  I have a form of Alzheimer’s Disease. 

Believe it or not this was good news!  I had five years of wondering what was wrong with me.  It was confirmed:  I am not crazy.  I am not stupid.  It does take time to get the right diagnosis.  However, when we do, we are freed.  It is a healing experience to finally know that our suspicions were correct:  There is something wrong. 

Though there isn’t a cure, the progress of the disease can be slowed down. 

Now that I know, I am putting plans in place to visit places and people, and to do things I have wanted to do.  My friends and family will be helping me to execute this plan of action for as long as I can keep going. Even without them, I know I will never be alone, for I have a loving God on this journey with me. 

So, yes … this diagnosis was a blessing.  I am still alive and able to do things.  I can quit my “pity party” and live my life, and help others in need.  I thank God for all these blessings. 

Please remember:  Speak Out.  Do not wait Don’t give up You need to be your own health advocate. 

If you have questions or start to wonder if your forgetfulness is excessive, speak to your family, your friends, any one.  If you think you might be exhibiting symptoms, speak to your doctor, to caregivers. Speak to your Higher Power. 

And if you find you do have Alzheimer’s, start sharing your stories with others, and find friends with whom you can share what you are going through … your anger, your frustration, your love. 

Thanks to all of you who are here for the Alzheimer’s Walk.  Your caring can make a difference to someone you know who has been or will be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. 

God Bless you all!

The End of Alzheimer’s starts with me.   And You!

1 comment:

  1. Both of my grandparents passed away from Alzheimer's Disease. I am participating in an Alzheimer's Association event, a Run to Remember, to raise awareness and funds for Alzheimer's care, support and research. Please visit my website, http://alzheimersbookmark.org/, to donate to the Alzheimer’s Association and sponsor my half-marathon run. I am essentially asking you, and your loved ones, to help me support the Alzheimer’s Associations mission:
    To eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research; to provide and enhance care and support for all affected; and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.

    FACT
    5.3 Million people have Alzheimers (One in
    eight people aged 65 and older, 13%, have
    Alzheimer’s disease)
    Alzheimers is the 7th leading cause of death
    172 Billion dollars in annual costs
    10.9 Million unpaid caregivers
    Every 70 seconds, someone in America develops
    Alzheimer’s. By mid-century, someone will
    develop the disease every 33 seconds.

    ReplyDelete