Monday, August 8, 2011

Yesterday! Today! Tomorrow


                                         
Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow*

“There are two days in every week that we should not worry about, two days that should be kept free from fear and apprehension. 

One is yesterday, with its mistakes and cares, its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.  Yesterday has passed, forever beyond our control. 

All the money in the world cannot bring back yesterday.  We cannot undo a single act we performed.  Nor can we erase a single word we've said - yesterday is gone!

 

I have problems with Yesterday because of my past.  When I think about it, I feel sad; I can use many words to remind me that I have no worth, regret, remorse, and especially guilt.

I was not nice yesterday, as things were not going my way.  Working on my blog, I could not get the words I wanted so when my husband asked me a question, I told him to leave me alone in an angry way.  Then later at the chiropractors office, it seemed that I was never going to get my back fixed.  It was really cold, and I started to pace waiting around the office, mumbling.  Finally the doctor came and fixed me.  But, I was angry at my actions. Then in the afternoon my hubby and I got on the phones to get tickets for me to go to Brazil.  It was a good thing that Butch was listening and stepping in when I was getting a little angry that the Delta person was not understanding me.  By the end of the day I was tired.

Yes, I told the people thank you for their help, while I was not happy.  It was not their fault I was not feeling well and taking it out on them.  I did it and I felt guilty. I could not take the words back, the attitude back, but I will try to go to God when I need to have patience.

The other day we shouldn't worry about is tomorrow, with its impossible adversaries, its burden, its hopeful promise and poor performance. Tomorrow is beyond our control. 

Tomorrow's sun will rise either in splendor or behind a mask of clouds - but it will rise. And until it does, we have no stake in tomorrow, for it is yet unborn. 

Now I am looking on my calendar, what am I going to do tomorrow?  OK!  Well, tomorrow I will get up anywhere from 3:00 am to 5:30am.  I plan that I will wake up at 5:30.  Then I go to my knees to pray, sit down for quiet time with God and listen to share what He wants me to do that day. I am going to finish a blog that I am struggling with for the last week.  I can get it done. Well, maybe!  Going to church to meet up with Mary Lou so we can practice a song for the 28th this month.  Then I will go to lunch, go to groceries for this the week.  Will go to a meeting for 1½ hrs and head to home for dinner. 

But, what if I forgot to set the alarm clock or Mary Lou gets sick, or my mom calls again for help with her TV?  I might miss lunch and too late for the groceries run because I have to get to the meeting.  I am exhausted now and tomorrow isn’t even here yet.

This leaves only one day - today.  Any person can fight the battles of just one day. It is only when we add the burdens of yesterday and tomorrow that we break down. 
It is not the experience of today that drives people mad - it is the remorse of bitterness for something which happened yesterday, and the dread of what tomorrow may bring. 
Let us, therefore, live one day at a time!

Today, I woke up, at 5:20am.  Prayed with God, talking to Him about the sun coming up, thanking Him for looking over me through the night (sometimes I have nightmares) and I prayed the Serenity Prayer that reminds me that He does give me the serenity I need. Sometimes I have to pray it until I really get it.  Then I get in bed and sit up with arms open and have quiet time and now God does the talking.  And if I listen I might just get what He wants me to do with today. Do I always listen? I try, and I lose my focus, looking at my laptop waiting for me or looking at the fiction book over in the chair or the dog wants to go outside.
Then I had breakfast with Butch, and got ready for church.  I forgot to print some papers for the service and that started a little stress in my mind.  When I got there I had calmed down. I was presiding, it was Communion Service and I had help setting things up and also having readings, scriptures, music, sermon, prayers, everyone in the church were giving ministry to others.  
Was it perfect?  Oh no!  I have a disease that plays with me.  And when it does the stress went up.  Yet others stepped in with help.  I knew I could move over to my friend and asked her to pray for me before the Communion started and did.  I prayed for forgiveness for having knowing that God knew what was happening, I didn’t.  After the service was over and I was calm I knew God was still here with me.
I knew today I would be going to KFC to pick up some of our lunch, and Butch was at home fixing the rest.  After the dishes were done, I came to my chair and put my legs up, the back of the chair went back and it felt good.  Oh, I had my laptop on my lap and checked out the emails, and FaceBook.  Not much going on.  I wanted to work on a blog. I have a couple that have been hard to do.  I remember from this morning to go on my knees to ask what He wanted me to do.   And then I got a nudge to my brain to go back to the Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow blow!  I waited until supper was over.  Now I am here getting close to finishing.  I am moving to the bedroom as my focus is getting stressed a little.  Ok!
When I finish the blog, I will pray to my God my Father who is writing with me, to Christ my brother who teaches me how to live my life and then the Sprit that is in my soul, does the nudging to keep doing what God has told me to do when I doubt.  It works if I Pray.
I am smiling right now.   It is time to close.  My last words of wisdom from me -- remember:
"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, That’s why it's called the Present.

*An anonymous poem found via many sources on the internet, including the copy found on this page:   http://www.namastecafe.com/hope/poem.htm. 
 !

No comments:

Post a Comment