Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I CAN


The first time that I stepped in to the Alzheimer’s Association in Midland, MI I was scared and nervous.  I had a phone call from Erin Wallace (Senior Service, Seasons Program Manage) had a phone call from Alzheimer’s Association looking for an Early Stage AD(Alzheimer’s Disease) person to speak at Alzheimer’s Run for Reagan for Research, Saginaw, Mi SVSU on 4-9-11. Erin gave me the phone number to speak to Jo Campbell at Greater Michigan Chapter/ Central Michigan Region.  My next thing I did was get to my knees to ask God if it is His will and I felt OK.  When I called I got the information how to get to the building, up the stairs, in to the room, I liked being there, no fear.  I had 3 days to get ready to what can I say.  Praying a lot!  I did,   The name for the writing was: Speak Out!


When I was in the building she told me that they had some books that I might like to read and I did.  I picked up” Richard Taylor’s” Book : Alzheimer's From the Inside Out.   I learned that he had a blog and I thought I might be able (with help) to do my thoughts in a blog.  I sent an email to Richard about my stories and he email back.  I like:  I Can   I Will!     I know you will too.



Posted by RichardTaylor at 10th August, 2011
September is World Dementia Awareness Month,
and Laura Bramly and I are working with the World’s Alzheimer’s Association (Alzheimer’s Disease International) to develop a web site that lists ideas from around the world of how folks can stand up and speak up during the month of September. This web site is almost ready, but not quite. We are still accepting contributions so when we are ready to go live with the web site, we can begin with many many ideas for others to consider adopting as their own.
Here are some real contributions we have already received, plus instructions on how you too can join us.

Thanks for your support this project. Please pass the word about this project to other like-minded folks. Email your contributions to: standupspeakout2011@gmail.com.

We will gladly help you with the form if you will just send us your ideas, plus if you want a picture of yourself. Pictures make our words/ideas seem more personal! Thanks for joining other kindred spirits in creating this “best practices/trial and error” clearing house.
Richard

On the I CAN! I WILL! website we will publish cyber books. Each book will be filled with your suggestions for activities to raise awareness about dementia and to fight against the stigma. There will be one book with ideas that people living with the symptoms of dementia might consider implementing, plus books for their family carers and friends, medical professionals, professional carers, Alzheimer’s Associations and others. This site will develop into a resource for individuals, groups, organizations and countries to consult when they are looking for ideas of how to stand up and speak out.

Suggested Format for Postings

Here is the suggested format for the idea posting. If you feel comfortable doing so, please provide a photo of yourself. To give you some guidance regarding activity ideas and format, sample postings are included after this section.

1. Subject line/title: One short sentence describing your idea.

2. Introduce yourself (whatever information you are comfortable making public). For example:
· Your name (at least your first name), where you live (town, state/province, country).
· If you have dementia, what form of dementia (Alzheimer’s, Lewy Bodies, etc.), how long since your diagnosis.
· If you are a care partner, for whom, how long, what form of dementia.
· If you are a professional in the field of dementia, what do you do and where?

1. Summarize your idea or just tell us your story.
You can outline your idea and the reasons behind it; perhaps you are basing your awareness-raising activity on your own personal experience. If you think that talking about your personal experience will help someone else to understand and implement your idea, then please provide as much information as you feel comfortable.

2. Who should think about implementing this idea?
For example, is your idea targeted to a person with dementia, a doctor, an activity director? This doesn’t mean your idea is restricted to only being done by that type of person; this information just helps us categorize your idea and make it easier to find on the website.

3. Contact Information: Web page, book, and/or email address of the idea author
A Sampling of Ideas Submitted Thus Far

Here are some ideas from folks from around the world, both with and without dementia. These are real ideas, contributed by real people, and these will be live on the website when it is launched. These ideas are meant to inspire you to contribute your own ideas. Send your ideas to standupspeakout2011@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment