Monday, August 15, 2011

Let's Talk Words #5 Pray



Pray

To pray is to take action:  I am talking to God.  I can use the word “ pray” and with adding am “er” or an “ing”, I can expand it to prayer or praying.   Sometimes I don’t know how to pray, what words to say, whether to be silent or say it out loud.   Do I go on my knees, standing up, sitting down, hands together, hands in lap, arms up and out or walking?  Do I pray alone or call someone out to pray with me?  
Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  -- By: Adele Ahlberg Calhoun (Inter-varsity Press / 2005 / Paperback)

I have this book that has helped me to grow in spiritual disciplines.  So, when I was studying this book, I found they outlined different types of prayer.  Some of these types are:  Centering, Contemplative, Conversational, Fixed-Hour, Inner Healing, Intercessory, Labyrinth, Liturgical, Prayer Partners, Praying Walking, Praying Scripture, and more.  One way I learned to use: Praying Scripture.  When I go to a scripture and God is asking us or telling us his words I make them personal.  For me, some days, I want a private time and I really feel that I am face to face and connected with my soul and His Sprit.  Here is an example:

 John 3:16

New International Version (NIV)

 Lord, You so loved the world that you gave your only Son, that whoever believes in You shall not perish but have eternal life.          Thank you, God!   I am talking with God and He with me.

Why do I pray?  God told me to.  I pray to talk to God to ask Him for help and He answers.  I pray for strength, for hope, peace, joy, love.  I pray to Him to remind me I have to follow His Will not mine.  I get in trouble if I don’t.  And I pray for all of his children in many ways of peace, love, joy, hope.
When to pray?  Any time!  When?  In the morning, in the afternoon and night:  I can pray at any time.  I pray when I am happy or not, when friends, family, or anyone else is in need of prayers.  I pray when I am so thankful for God’s Gifts to me to pass on to others … it just seems right.

Where do I pray?  Anywhere!  Where I want to go!  I remember, the time in the grocery store when a friend needed a prayer for a family member’s problems. We hugged and prayed in the aisle.  In Brazil, in the church, the Pastor started the prayer, my head was down, eyes closed, listened quiet and realized that there were people talking at the same time.  How rude!   I started listening, I heard one person was praying for the pastor, another praying for family, another praying for the person who would be sharing the sermon.  Every one of them were praying different prayers.  I was the only one alone not praying.  Now I can pray everywhere. 

Who can pray?  Anyone! I can pray; you can pray.  Anyone can pray:  even those who are not sure they could pray.  One word can be prayer :  God.  Lord.  Help!  Why?  God listens!  A person who killed their family still has the right to pray.  Those who killed the Navy Seals can pray.   We have a God that loves us so much that He sent His Son to die for us so we can be able to pray when we felt unworthy.  He still loves us.  Thank you, Lord!

What do I pray for?  Anything!  I pray for people for other people’s health, ministry, God’s Will, families.  I pray for me!  I ask what I should do, what should I give back, where should I go.  What does He want me to do is a mystery.  I can pray for anything.  God will listen.

How do we pray?  Anyway we want!  We can pray out loud, silent, laughing, singing, on our knees, standing up, laying flat down on the floor, dancing, crying sad or with joy, with the bible, walking, driving, one word, in our house, on the street, church, stores … any way we feel we can connect with our God.

I don’t know how I could live my life without praying.  I pray so many times, for many reasons and in so many places.  I can’t image how many times in my life I have prayed.  I can’t figure out how many times I prayed crying for help, for joy, for friends, for not so friends, for my God, for darkness, sunlight, rain, drought or for celebration. 
Right now I am praying : My God, I am in need to use your words so others can know You.  I can’t do it alone.  Lord I love you so much, you tell me what to do when I don’t want to hear it.  Yet you give me a way to do what needs to be done.  So Lord, I will keep going on this blog and it will get done with You. 

Thank You

Yesterday I started on my knees, I prayed for God’s will for this day, prayed that the words on this blog will make sense and others will know God is with me in my walk with Alzheimer’s  Disease.  It will not go away.  It can be slowed down though.  One day this past week, at 4:00pm, I met the doctor to find out the difference in my condition, comparing last year to this year’s changes.   I was sure there are changes, I feel them, see them, hear them, laugh with them, cry with them and still have Hope, Joy, Love and Peace on my journey with God and Alzheimer’s Disease.  Well, I have been blessed, I am still on early stage of my disease, I have lost some things but I am still alive.  Yay!!!    Thanks to all of you that were praying for me.  I love you all!

The Model Prayer:  Matthew 6:9-13   
Our Father in heaven
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come
Your will be done
On earth as it is heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our debts
As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us in to temptation,
But deliver from the evil one.
For Yours in the kingdom and the Power and the glory forever . Amen.

Blog  #6         New words are:  Laughter and Smiles 





No comments:

Post a Comment