Monday, June 20, 2011

Let's Talk Words

Let’s Talk Words
It came to my mind to remember the words: When, Where, What, Who, How and now I am adding Why. The words are not good or bad.  They do not hurt anyone.   They don’t help people. We do!  We look at these words and then we use them.   We use these words to answer questions a lot of times:  When are we going, Where are we going to, What will we be doing, Who will we see, How will it happen and WHY! 

I have lost a lot of words that I will never get back.  I can see them on a page, but not able to know what they mean or not able to say them out loud.  It is hard for me to write words.  When I can’t remember   how to write, I call Butch (husband), to slowly give me the letters as I write them down.  I also have a gadget from ‘‘Franklin: Webster’s Spelling Corrector.” It will write the word as is right.  It is wonderful.  I use it.  I am using Butch and the gadget right now to write this blog. 

I was told earlier that I had dementia with memory loss.  Words were what I lost.    
It is hard to talk words when you can’t speak the words that won’t come out of your mouth.  I told my Pastor a year and half ago that I would not stand up in a service to speak.   Because, I was leading the Prayer, The Lord’s Prayer and in the middle of the prayer I lost my words…Thankfully someone in the first row noted what was happening and pick it up and kept it going. 

When I was finally diagnosed that I have Alzheimer’s Disease, my  God  put me to work.  Remembering that I am alive, and God will be with me.  It is not just the words now as I learn that there is help.  I realized my pride was in the way.  I did not want people to know what was going on in my life. I can not  do it alone, not any more.  I ask for help.

There are many words that mean a lot to me.  I am sure that we all have words that have means in our  lives.   I have made a list of 30  words that mean to me are:
God, Jesus. Holy Spirit, Surrender, Will, Love, Peace, Joy, Hope, Prayers, Family, Friends, Laughter, Care, Free, Accept, Change, Courage, New, Alive, Share, Kind, Today, Now, Feel, Alzheimer’s, Help, Focus, Smile.

In the next few blogs, I will be sharing what these words mean to me as an Alzheimer’s person   I will start the list with:  God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, Surrender, Will, Love. 

Philippians 4:13 
13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sara,

    I am following your blog.

    My sister has Alzheimer's Disease too. So I am familiar with it.

    Margie

    ReplyDelete