Thursday, June 16, 2011

Communication Tips for Friends and Family

Spring  2011  Dublin Club
Communication Tips for Friends and Family
·        Slow down the conversation.

·        Wait for a reply.

·        Wait for me to ask for help if I can’t think of the word.

·        Don’t talk for me.

·        Understand that noise distractions are difficult for me.

·        Help me to “save face” in social situations.

·        This is difficult for me.

·        Make eye contact.

·        Face me when you talk and get my attention first.

·        Be concise.

·        Laugh with me, not at me.

·        Personal discussions need to be private.

·        Ask me if I can hear you and understand.

·        Conversation should be active and not passive.

·        Help me keep my brain active.




Senior Services – Midland County Council on Aging – 4700 Dublin Avenue. Midland, MI – 989-633-3700

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for great information you wrote about communicating for someone with Dementia and Alzheimer's disease. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

    Dementia Clinic

    ReplyDelete