Thursday, May 26, 2011

ARE WE ALONE?

Are We Alone?

The other day I was having a pity party for myself.  No one was in the room or in the house.  Crying out loud, wiping eyes, nose running.  No one loved me.  No one really knows what it feels like being an Alzheimer person.  Then I stopped and cleaned up my face knowing that I am loved and not alone.

My God is here.  God is unconditional Love.  God loves me.  God is my higher power.  I looked back in my journal to read the blessings I can remember God gave me.  I will share the first one of those journal entries with you. 

The Date:  Sept 7, 2010.  Title:  Alzheimer Sucks.  Sorry, it hit me and I was mad, sad, and I did not want to write anything that day, but then, I remembered that God has blessed me a lot. I started to write of those blessing that day.  I believe the Holy Spirit had a part in my writing that day: 

Lord, I pray that I may follow your path.  You are the one that can keep me in Peace:

The Serenity Prayer
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can (and)
The wisdom to know the difference.

First blessing I was reminded of that day when I talked to the Father: 

God, you gave me birth through my parents.  I didn’t really know you but I was drawn to you when I was 8 years old and I asked my parents if I could go to the church on the next road.  It was the Methodist Church and a Pastor named Elsie.  I met you there.  I learned about you.  I learned to know your words in the Bible, learned to love you, to know to go to you, to pray.  As I got older, I didn’t always listen to you and I got into trouble in my life.  But, you were always there.  I did not always follow your path, I did not know that I was worthy.  Then one day, you put books in front of me, one of which was a Gospel book.  In that book, you taught me again that you loved me, unconditionally.  God, you forgave me.  Thank You, Lord, you started to change me, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly.  Thank you, Lord. 

I was never alone!  We are never alone!  There are ways that we can be comforted in our homes or elsewhere.  If we have pets, snuggle up.  If you like reading, watching TV, talk to friends on the phone, etc.  For me, a primary source of comfort is the Bible, and Psalm 23.  Try it. 

Psalm 23
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside still waters, he restores my soul.
He leads me in right paths
For His name’s sake,
Even though I walk through darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord my whole life long.

No comments:

Post a Comment