Friday, October 5, 2012

My presentation at the World Alzheimer’s Awareness Day



 Early Stage Alzheimer’s Candidate.   What does that mean?

I can still work, volunteer, share with others, and help people. Alzheimer’s is a disease, but it is not who we are.  It is a gathering of people who care.  They care enough to share their lives and to support and they listen to those who need to be heard with the disease. 

I was at the walks in Saginaw, Grand Blanc and Midland.   I heard laughter, joy, happiness, dancing, sharing with others, tears sad and joy, helping, walking, and an Amazing day. We are here to support for many reasons: some to remind us that we are still a life, fundraising, sharing stories.  Everyone is a child of God, and if you are afraid to speak He will help you.  I know because God gives me the words that I need to use.    If you have a form of Alzheimer’s disease and you are alive, God is with you and will walk with you.  Share your stories.   Care Giver’s you can speak for them.  . 


Like others who are getting older, I would forget names, places, words, lose keys.  We all do it and we all tend to laugh these things off.  I thought, “this is normal.” So, I let it go. 

Maybe we begin to notice these things happening more frequently.  We may blow it off.  We may become sad, depressed, mad, angry, wonder why me?”  Or maybe we don’t talk about it at all … because it is scary to think about what is happening in our bodies/ and even scarier to say it out loud.  

Do not delay!  Talk to your doctor!  I didn’t, I waited too long. 
  It started a long journey.
I met with a Geriatric Physician who specializes in Alzheimer’s  Disease.   I have a form of Alzheimer’s Disease. 
 Believe it or not this was good news! .  It was confirmed:  I am not crazy.  I am not stupid we are freed.  It is a healing experience to finally know that our suspicions were correct:  There was something wrong. 
We can do things Now that I know, putting plans in place to visit places and people, and to do things I have wanted to do.   Even without them, I know I will never be alone, for I have a loving God on this journey with me. 

So, yes … this diagnosis was a blessing.  I am still alive and able to do things.  ” and live my life, and help others in need.  I thank God for all these blessings. 

 Speak Out

If you have questions or start to wonder if your forgetfulness is excessive, speak to your family, your friends, any one.  If you think you might be exhibiting symptoms, speak to your doctor, to caregivers. Speak to your Higher Power. 
 And if you find you do have Alzheimer’s, start sharing your stories with others, and find friends with whom you can share what you are going through your anger, your frustration, your love. 

Thanks to all of you who are here for the Alzheimer’s Walk.  Your caring can make a difference to someone you know who has been or will be diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. 

For Me, God said, Sara your still alive, things to do and lets go.

Speak Out.  Do not delay.  Don’t give Up.   We are freed.

No comments:

Post a Comment