Wednesday, January 18, 2012

GRATITUDE



Hello! 
My sister Penny called me the other night and asked me:  “What is wrong?  Why are you not working on a new blog?  You promised that you would share your up and down times in your blog.”  Penny also said:  “You need to tell your friends why they have not heard from you.”  So today, I will try to share with you.  I am in my bed writing this now, Friday 13, 2012, but am not sure when it will be finished.

In the first part of October I was feeling down.  The Walks for Alzheimer’s and the Midland Daily News newspaper article took a lot out of me.  I am just realizing I didn’t know that these had been the reasons for my “down” time.  I talked to my doctor and told him that I think I am a little depressed. So, I got a new med.  It would be at least 6 weeks before it would really kick in.  I knew I needed to get back on track for going to Brasil later in the month.

My last blog was Stand Firm in the Lord on Oct 8. I tried to write a blog but I could not get my brain on track.    I was focusing on getting the things together for 3 weeks in Brasil such as making decisions about clothes (will it be hot or cold there), as well as writing things to be shared in Brasil (information, stories of my life with God, sharing what God told me about forgiveness).  In addition to this, I was going to church, meetings, doctor appointments, house work: I got tired!  Come night time, don’t talk to me: I just want to watch TV, read books and play games on the computer. Also, I was worrying that I would get sick from my disease and not be able to go to Brasil.

Finally on my way to Brasil, I was excited and worried at the same time.  When I got to Detroit, I met with Tony Saraiva and he told me that we were upgraded to the comfort economy seats and we did not have to pay for it.  Cool!   All the time I was there we had a lot of work to do.  Then there were lots of time to rest.  I was upbeat, happy most of the time.  There were times that I was down but snapped out of it right away.  Wow, that medication worked.  Thank you. God!

When I came home, I was tired.  I dropped back into my old way of not wanting to do anything. In our house, Butch, me and our dog have a lot of laughter until around 5:00 p.m. Then, there is not as much.  When I leave the house, most of the time I feel good.  I like to talk to friends, go out to eat with family, go to church, etc.  When people ask me how I am doing, I will  say with a smile:  “I am fine” or “God is so good to me” or “God has Blessed me so much” and I mean it.  Except sometimes I don’t.  I lie!  I am not OK, I can’t write to my friends, talk with my family.     Why? It takes me so long to get my words out.  I can’t use the letters to make a word without help. This is the next blog I am working on to you and God.  It has been one and a half hour to write about 20 sentences.  It makes me cry. 
I am taking a break now so I can share what Gratitude means to me and many others.
 
Gratitude means Thank You.

Back on Nov 1, 2010, I wrote a blog called Struggling.  I am back struggling.  I know better.  I have been so blessed by God.  I know God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit loves me, cares for me, walks with me, cries with me, laughs with me and listens to me.  I have family, friends that will do the same thing.  I am not alone.  Yet, I forget to call for help. Or is my ego thinking I can do it alone?  Maybe, I don’t want others to know my weakness. It upset me the other day when I became confused in my own home. I know I am not perfect but I want to be.   You know, it is time to be grateful and get out of my pity time.  OK, here we go!
God, thank you for being with me through my struggles with Alzheimer’s Disease.  Yes, I know that my brain is playing with me.  I knew there would be changes in my brain.  I also have faith with you, Lord.  And, thank you again for loving me.

Families and friends, thank you for your support.  Every time I remember to ask for help, you are here.  I am not always nice to you when you are trying to help me.  When I am angry at myself, I sometimes take it out on you. Please, forgive me.  

Every day in my life is changing, some good, some not and today, on January 18, 2012, at 7:20 a.m., it is good.  The rest of this day, I have no clue what will be happen.  I do know that God is with me and I know that my families and friends will be here when I need help.
Penny.
Thank You for kicking me so I remember that God told me that I am still alive, have things to do, so let’s go.

  I Can!  I Will!  I Did!

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Sara, Thank You for being so open & honest; not only about your ups, but also about those times of doubt & struggle. We all have them, you are not alone. You are not losing Sara. This revealing piece is a reminder of just how relevant your thoughts and words can be. You are a comfort to others who may not have your diagnosis; but still face the everyday challenges of loving, loss, aging, and other health related or not, challenges. Keep reminding us how important it is to hold on to things we take for granted, and to always keep redefining ourselves. By doing so, we are becoming a renewed more powerful version of the person we thought we always were. Stay strong & keep smiling, in turn making others smile too. Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sarah, WE have never met but Penny has talked about you often. Thank you for making what must be a real effort to write your blogs. They are a touching insight into how this wretched disease attacks you but they are much more of an insight into you and your faith. I envy you your faith. I wish I could meet you in person. Your family is very blessed. Two special peope. You and Penny. God Bless. Pat Bryant, Wiltshire. UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah...

    Remember you are NOT your disease. While it may be your constant companion it is NOT you! I wish I had an answer for why bad things happen to good people but I don't I am not God and things like that are known only to him. One thing I do know is that with and in God bad things are transformed into something good.

    I think one of the good things that can come from our bad things is the helpmate we can be for others. Jesus was a "been there done that" Savior in a like manner through your dreaded disease and the Holy Spirit you have become a "been there done that" disciple.

    And remember it is not the number of words that count it is the spirit of the words that count. You can say just as much with "I don't feel like going on today," as you can with thousands of words.

    God Bless you Sarah...
    Grace and PEACE,
    Gary Piper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, Thank you once again for sharing so intimately your struggle. We don't have to be the answer to someone's problem to be helpful. Sometimes it is meeting someone IN their struggle that is the most help of all. Sara, you are an inspiration to all who struggle or know some one who does struggle with Alzheimer's Disease. May God grant you Peace, Nan Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara you are a real trouper. Remember you are loved by so many. Thank you for sharing your journey and please continue to write.

    Love from Barb in Ottawa, Canada

    ReplyDelete