Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Journey with Associacao Brasiletra de Alzheimer


The Journey with Associacao Brasiletra de Alzheimer
When I decided to go back to Brasil for my tenth year, I wanted to go for three weeks instead of two weeks.  I was planning to be with Fernanda Carvelho  and Carlos Carvalho because I believed that I would not go back in 2012 because of my Alz disease. I think that God had different ideas for me this trip.  Just in case, I packed flyers with information on Alz.  I wanted to connect with Brasil’s Associacao de Brasiletra de Alzheimer.
When we shared this with Pastor Rubia Dos Reis Pereira, she said that there are many, many persons that have the disease here in Poa and Suzano, and more throughout Brasil. She wanted to come with us to the Alz Association in Sao Paulo.  Fernanda’s daughter, Carla Alpha is a Doctor and she as well as Tony Saraiva wanted to come, too.   When Carol Campbell, Jan Trzil and Joey arrived from the US, they also wanted to go. We were excited. 
Over the first two weeks, we were working with our church in “Community Of Christ” in Poa, Ferraz and Susano.  Everywhere we went: services, visiting, stories from people of their family sicknesses.   We heard the words: Alzheimer’s Disease.   We were able to speak with families in homes, the Church, even in businesses.  After the first two weeks, Tony went to visit his family in North Brasil on Monday; Carol, Joey, and Jan departed for home in the US on Tuesday.  Dr Carla had to work Friday and could not come.  I would be leaving on Sunday. 
On Thursday morning, Fernanda called the Associacao de Brasiletra de Alzheimer to see if we could come to visit with them.  The reason for the visit:  To find help for the people that have Alzheimer’s Disease in the cities around our church.  We also wanted to get information for caregivers, whether it be a family member, a nurse or a doctor. 
Vera at the Alzheimer’s office answered Fernanda’s call and said:  No, too busy, no time!  Maybe next year!  Fernanda said:  OK, we have a lady from the USA that has the Alzheimer’s Disease.  She is in an early stage of the disease and she is on their council.  Then the response changed to:  Really!  Wait a minute, can you come tomorrow from 9-10am.  I have another meeting at 10.  Fernanda said:  We will!
Friday arrived!   Pastor Rubia’s son was sick and had to go to the hospital.  So, we left at 7am and it took us one hour to get to Sao Paula and then another hour to find the ABRAz (Associacao Brasiletra de Alzheimer) Regional Office in Sao Paulo.  Thank you Carlos! You got us there, we were still alive.  Unless you have driven in Sao Paulo, you have NO idea how hard it is to just drive.  We made it. 
We walked up three flights of stairs and were welcomed by the Secretary  and Vera, who is the Presidente of the Associacao.  She spoke to us in English, which she said that was not good and I told her I was worse with my Portugues.  Big smiles and great hugs!  The four of us sat down and started talking.  Vera was very happy we were there.   We were very happy, too.  Vera told us that she wanted to know how we do things in the USA.  I shared about our Walks; the emails once a week if we want them; written communications, like the pamphlets.  We shared the Medic Alert bracelet and Vera hopes that some day they can have them, also.   Vera told us that too many families will not tell others what they have that make makes them sick, and sometimes the families will not let the Doctors tell their Patients, either.  There are not enough Geriatricians Doctors.  The caregivers that work for her are only going out to the hospitals.  Brasil is like us:  Need doctors. caregivers and nurses.  They are also in need of volunteers and supporters to get people to Step up to Speak Out, 
Brazil is almost as large as the US (well, if you remove about 1/3 of Alaska we would be about the same size).  I share this because most of the Health programs are focused on the coast of Brasil.  The rest of the interior, it is hard to find doctors, nurses, etc.  The deeper you go, the less help they get.   We are the same way in the rural areas of the USA.  We have a lot of doctors and and nurses, yet we need more in the Alzheimer’s Health programs, too. 
Before we left, Vera gave us information, 2 booklets and a CD.
Thank you Vera, for letting us come.  We now are family.  Hug and Kiss! 
When I came back from Brasil, I went to bed and the rest of the week I just rested.  The next week, I sent an e-mail to Vera  and she sent me one back.  Here they are;
Vera,
I was so blessed to be at your Associacao Brasiletra de Alzheimer.
I am working on a blog about our connection.  It will take time to finish. 
Before I can write the blog, I need some information from you.  I want to share our experiences between you, Fernada, Carlos, and me
My hope is that we can connect to Brasil and USA to share our needs.  
Also hoping that I am making sense. kkkk
We laughed a lot there.
God gave us that gift of laughter

We can do this.
We can! We Will!
Sara

And Vera replied: 

Dear Sarah
It was very important for me to meet you and learn from you the strength that a person with Alzheimer's disease and is mainly how we must learn to listen. I am copying this email, Fernanda and Carlos, so we can help her on her blog and provide a channel for sharing experiences between our countries. A very affectionate hug.
Vera Pedrosa Caovilla,  Presidente of ABRAz
Sao Paulo, Brasil.
I had a hard time to put it together.I think that I was on the wrong path or God put me in my bed and get me to rest. I stared in the middle of November and sending this out today 12-11-11
Please comment what Ideas to share with Brazil/Brasil!
Thank You for your Patience.

1 comment:

  1. wow Sara, may God continue to help you be His hand Maiden in this struggle to help yourself and unselfishly all the others that your life touches!!! So thankful to be able to call you a friend and a sister in Christ!!!! Bev

    ReplyDelete