Friday, March 29, 2013


Using Validation to Manage Difficult Behaviors
Hello Seasons Volunteers,

It’s time for the monthly volunteer training tip! This month, I will be discussing validation therapy, a popular form of conversation among persons with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. The idea behind validation therapy is to “validate” or accept the values and beliefs of the individual with dementia. The key is to “agree” with what the individual wants by using conversation and redirection. 
Often times, direct confrontation among individuals with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias can cause increased anxiety or agitation. Validation therapy has a high success rate because it is using a non-confrontational approach.
Take a look at the example below…
                                                
Chuck: "I have to find my car keys."

Me: "Your car keys..."
(Don’t tell him he doesn't have a car and he hasn't driven for years)

Chuck: "Yes, I need to get home - lots of work to do, you know!"

Me: "You are busy today?"
(Don’t tell him he is at an adult day center and isn't going home for hours)

Chuck: "Heck, yes. I'm busy every day, girlee."

Me: "You like being busy?"
(Try to find a topic of conversation that he might accept discussing)

Chuck: "What planet do you live on? I didn't say I LIKED it. I just have to work - like most of the rest of the world, ya know?"

(He's getting a little frustrated, but seems to have forgotten the keys.)

Me: "I know about work, Chuck. I do some of that myself. In fact, I'm getting ready to fix some lunch for us. Care to join me?"

Chuck: "Lunch, huh? What are we having?"



Renee Pope, CTRS
Activity Coordinator
Seasons Adult Day Health Services

1 comment:

  1. Here is a great herbal doctor who cured me of Hepatitis B. his name is Dr. Imoloa. I suffered Hepatitis B for 11 years, I was very weak with pains all over my body my stomach was swollen and I could hardly eat. And one day my brother came with a herbal medicine from doctor Imoloa and asked me to drink and I drank hence there was no hope, and behold after 2 week of taking the medicine, I started feeling relief, my swollen stomach started shrinking down and the pains was gone. I became normal after the completion of the medication, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative which means I’m cured. He can also cure the following diseases with his herbal medicine...lupus, hay fever, measles, dry cough, diabetics hepatitis A.B.C, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, bile salt disease, fol ate deficinecy, diarrhoea, liver/kidney inflammatory, eye cancer, skin cancer disease, malaria, chronic kidney disease, high blood pressure, food poisoning, parkinson disease, bowel cancer, bone cancer, brain tumours, asthma, arthritis, epilepsy, cystic fibrosis, lyme disease, muscle aches, cholera, fatigue, muscle aches, shortness of breath, alzhemer's disease, acute myeloid leukaemia, acute pancreatitis, chronic inflammatory joint disease, Addison's disease back acne, breast cancer, allergic bronchitis, Celia disease, bulimia, congenital heart disease, cirrhosis, fetal alcohol spectrum, constipation, fungal nail infection, fabromyalgia, (love spell) and many more. he is a great herbalist man. Contact him on email; drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. You can also reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098.

    ReplyDelete