Sunday, April 1, 2012

“My 10 Commandments”




In the Fall of 2011 the Alzheimer’s Association sent out a newsletter. I looked through it fast but did not really read it. On the front page I saw the title “My 10 Commandments” and I thought that I will read it later and I didn’t.

Last week the newsletter for Spring 2012 came out. The 2011 newsletter was on my table and I was going to throw it away and then I really saw and read the Commandments. Wow, this is so good. I have to share this with others. For those that have ALZ, keep reading over and over. We are still alive!

---

“My 10 Commandments” for those with ALZ
Author:  John D. MacInnes
Diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2006

This came about in a strange way-perhaps, in a dream-I’m not certain. The other day, while paddling my canoe-similar to a miniature Ark-on Lake Huron, the clouds parted and a clay tablet fell into the canoe.
Chiseled into that tablet were these words:

1.  When you are diagnosed with ALZ, don’t panic-there are lots of nastier diseases you have.

2.  Search out the best Neurologist in town and stick with him or her.

3.  Contact the Alzheimer’s Association. Listen to their lectures, join a support group, and get involved.

4.  Inform yourself by reading books about ALZ and the brain. The best for me was “Alzheimer’s from the Inside Out” by Richard Taylor.

5.  Don’t buy a rocking chair or hide out of the back room. Stay in touch with your family, friends, and the world around you.

6.  Volunteer as an ALZ Advocate. Reach out, speak out and educate the uninformed about ALZ.

7.  Take care of yourself. Eat healthy foods; exercise – nothing better than walking. Wear a Medic Alert bracelet or Dog Tag just in case you may “wander.”

8.  Get your financial and legal affairs in order with the assistance of a good elder care attorney.

9.  Enjoy life by focusing on your hopes and dreams – not the fact that you have a debilitating disease.

10.  Relax and remember all the wonderful memories that have filled your life and be thankful for a life fully lived.

 I believe in these “10 Commandments” and recommend them to all those dealing with Alzheimer’s.

---


Thank You, John D. Maclnnes, you have blessed us. 

1 comment:

  1. Sara, it looks like great advise to me. God bless you dear sister.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete